- CULJP updates the job postings regularly. Have a job to advertise? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Additional job postings are often available at the Law and Society Association's Positions and Fellowships Page; that page is updated regularly.
- LAW AND SOCIETY TENURE TRACK SEARCH RAMAPO COLLEGE
Established in 1969, Ramapo College of New Jersey has an enrollment of 5,000 students and offers bachelor’s degrees in the arts, business, humanities, social sciences and the sciences, as well as in professional studies, which include nursing and social work. In addition, Ramapo College offers courses leading to teacher certification at the elementary and secondary levels. The College also offers eight graduate programs as well as articulated programs with Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New York Chiropractic College, New York University College of Dentistry, SUNY State College of Optometry and New York College of Podiatric Medicine. The College is ranked as fifth in the Best Regional Public Universities North category by U.S. News & World Report.
Undergraduate students choose to concentrate their studies in one of five schools with more than 539 course offerings and 36 academic programs. Ramapo College boasts an average student/faculty ratio of 18:1 and average class size of 23, affording students the opportunity to develop close ties to the College’s exceptional faculty.
JOB SUMMARY: The successful candidate will be expected to teach (6) courses per academic year across the law and society curriculum in the major (https://www.ramapo.edu/catalog-2018-2019/sshs/lawandsociety/), and in particular in the criminal justice category.
EDUCATION: Ph.D. required by start date in area relevant to the study and teaching of socio-legal phenomena, including, but not limited to anthropology, area studies, communications/media, criminology, economics, gender/women's studies, geography, history, interdisciplinary studies, law and society, linguistics, philosophy, psychology, political science, sexuality, social work, or sociology.
J.D. with practical experience preferred. Scholarship (or promise thereof) in the field of law, crime, and society is required.
EXPERIENCE: College teaching experience required. Full-time teaching experience preferred.
Positions with Upcoming Deadlines
- The Legal Studies Program at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst will be hiring a Teaching Fellow for the 2019-2020 academic year. This is a one-year position, with the expectation of renewal for a second year based on the candidate’s performance. The successful candidate will benefit from close mentoring from Legal Studies faculty and an opportunity to engage in the vibrant intellectual life of the law and society community at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and the Five Colleges. The teaching load for this position is 3-2 and includes upper division classes (typically capped at 25 students) of the successful candidate’s choosing and in consultation with the Director of Legal Studies. The successful candidate may repeat one or more of these classes from semester to semester, in consultation with the Director of Legal Studies. Application closes Feb 4, 2019.
- Required Qualifications
- Applicants must have earned a Ph.D. by the starting date of the appointment.
- To apply, visit: http://careers.umass.edu/amherst/en-us/job/496503/lecturerteaching-and-research-fellow
- Required Qualifications
- The University of Kansas School of Public Affairs and Administration invites applications for an assistant or early associate professor tenure‐track position in Law & Society. The position is expected to begin in August 2019. Candidates should have a strong research agenda in Law and Society. We welcome applications from scholars working in all areas of Law & Society, including race, gender, and institutions; administrative state‐society relations; immigration; social movements; criminal justice; the nonprofit sector (including civil society, NGOs and community organizations); and urban studies. Candidates also should have a commitment to graduate and undergraduate teaching, and a strong commitment to professional service. Most courses taught by this hire will be on the Edwards campus. SPAA is a top‐ranked research and teaching program with an internationally recognized faculty, a collegial environment, and strong, nationally‐recruited students. The School serves the flagship campus in Lawrence as well as campuses in nearby Topeka and the Kansas City metro area. Most courses taught by this hire will be on the Edwards campus. The MPA program is highly ranked among graduate programs, particularly in the areas of City Management, Urban Policy, and Public Management. The School supports a small undergraduate program; a distinguished doctoral program that has placed graduates in the best positions nationally; and an excellent professional education program.
- Required Qualifications
- Evaluation of the following requirements will be made through (1) a cover letter describing your previous work experience and educational experiences as well as your demonstrated commitment in working with diverse groups; (2) record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in C.V.; (3) teaching philosophy statement that also addresses your commitment/approach in the use or development of implementing inclusive teaching/advising practices, pedagogical techniques and course materials; (4) research statements; and (5) information provided from professional references.
- Ph.D. in Law & Society, Public Administration, Public Policy, Political Science, Sociology, or a related field by the start date of the appointment.
- Demonstration for high potential in research and publications.
- Demonstrated ability to teach effectively.
- For more info and to apply online, visit https://employment.ku.edu/academic/12743BR
- Initial review of applications will begin October 1, 2018
- Required Qualifications
- Law, Politics, and Society at Drake University seeks a teacher-scholar doing interdisciplinary sociolegal scholarship focusing on global legal studies, human rights, science/technology, or practices of the legal profession. Successful candidates will teach upper and lower division electives in their areas of expertise, and contribute to major requirements. We especially seek a candidate who contributes to excellent education for diverse student populations, and desire to be active member of a department with strong commitments to university service. 3:3 teaching load; strong support for research and professional development. Submit detailed cover letter, c.v., and the names of three references to https://drake.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=43193&job=assistant-professor-of-law-politics-society-998529 by October 1.
- Doane University, a nationally recognized liberal arts and sciences university in Nebraska invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position as an Assistant Professor of Law, Politics, and Society. J.D. or Ph.D.required, ABD considered.
Law, Politics and Society is an interdisciplinary liberal arts major that guides students on an exploration of the multiple political, philosophical, sociological, economic, and cultural bases of law while helping them to develop skills to engage as responsible citizens as well as pursue advanced studies or careers in law, public service, or related fields. Teaching responsibilities may include the following courses: Legal Environment of Business, Commercial Law, Constitutional Law, Current Legal Issues, Women in Power, International Legal Environment, Introduction to Law, Politics, and Society, and Seminar in Law Politics and Society, as well as courses in the successful candidate's area of expertise. Additional responsibilities include serving as the Director of the Law, Politics, and Society Program, as well as some scholarship and service. Preference will be given to candidates who are interested in an active learning and teaching environment, value interdisciplinary studies, are committed to teaching to a diverse population of students, include students with different perspectives, and are responsive to student needs.
Doane's mission is to provide an exceptional liberal arts education in a creative, inclusive, and collaborative community where faculty and staff work closely with undergraduate and graduate students preparing them for lives rooted in intellectual inquiry, ethical values, and a commitment to engage as leaders and responsible citizens of the world. Central to our mission, Doane University actively works to create and sustain a welcoming learning community for all members to fulfill their potential, feel valued, and make meaningful contributions to the university. Doane University is an equal opportunity employer and seeks candidates who reflect the diversity of our society.
For more information and to apply,